Cuisines of the Americas
1 1/2 lbs sliced beef sirloin
Salt to taste
Pepper to taste
1/4 tsp onion powder
4 Tbsp. all-purpose flour
2 onions, sliced
10 oz mushrooms, sliced
1/2 tsp dried thyme
2 cloves crushed garlic
4 cups beef stock
1/3 cup heavy cream
4 sourdough bread bowls
4 slices provolone cheese
1. Add sliced beef to a large bowl, season with salt, pepper, onion powder and toss to coat. Sprinkle 2 Tbsp flour, toss to coat.
2. Place a pot over medium-high heat, drizzle olive oil. Once hot, add half the sirloin in, brown, remove onto a plate to hold, then repeat with the remaining sirloin. Set aside.
3. Add more oil to the pot, add sliced onions, add pinch of salt and pepper, and caramelize the onions, stirring frequently to avoid burning. Once the onions are softened, add mushrooms and continue sautéing until cooked.
4. Stir in dried thyme and garlic.
5. Sprinkle remaining 2 Tbsp. of flour onto mixture, stir to combine, then add beef stock. Reduce heat to medium-low, and simmer for 10 minutes.
6. Mix in heavy cream, then add beef, along with juices, stir to combine.
7. Ladle stew into hollowed out sourdough bowls, top with slice of provolone, then broil until the cheese is brown and melted.