Servings: 12-14 bites
2-3 medium eggplants, thinly sliced
Salt, to taste
8-10 basil leaves, chopped
15 ounces ricotta cheese, drained of excess moisture
1 cup mozzarella cheese
1/2 cup parmesan cheese
4 eggs, beaten, divided
Italian seasoned bread crumbs
Oil for frying
Marinara sauce for dipping
1. Slice the eggplant and lay out on a paper towel lined baking sheet.
2. Generously salt the eggplant on both sides and leave to sit for 30 minutes to soften and draw out excess moisture.
3. In a medium mixing bowl add the basil, ricotta, mozzarella, parmesan, and one egg (beaten). Mix together.
3. Blot off the water and excess salt from the eggplant with additional paper towels.
4. Picking two equal sized eggplant slices, sandwich about a tablespoon of the ricotta mixture between the slices and place on a wax paper lined baking tray.
5. Freeze for 30 minutes to one hour.
6. In three separate bowls, place the flour, bread crumbs, and the remaining three eggs, beaten.
7. Remove eggplant from the freezer and coat each first in flour, then egg, then bread crumbs. Coat once more in egg and a final time in the bread crumbs. Place back in the freezer while you prepare to fry.
8. In a large saucepan, heat oil to 350˚F (180˚C). Fry eggplant in batches, three at a time, until nicely browned on all sides.
9. Remove and place on a paper towel lined plate to drain off any excess oil. Sprinkle with salt.
10. Serve with marinara sauce. Enjoy!