Cuisines of the Americas
2 medium potatoes, washed and dried
salt and pepper to taste
2 tablespoons butter, freeze 30 minutes and then slice very thinly, freeze again until ready to use
2 oz smoked Gouda, freeze 30 minutes and then slice into thin rectangles, freeze again until ready to use
1 teaspoon chopped rosemary
2 tablespoons heavy cream or half and half
1/4 cup shredded sharp cheddar
2 pieces cooked bacon, crumbled
1. Place two thin spoons with wood handles along the sides of a potato. This will prevent your knife from cutting all the way through the potato. Repeat with the second potato.
2. Sprinkle salt and pepper between the slices.
3. Stuff the cut potatoes with the Gouda and butter, alternating between the two. Every other slit should be full of cheese, the rest with butter.
4. Sprinkle with the chopped rosemary.
5. Bake at 400 for 45 minutes, then add cream, cheddar and bacon.
6. Bake 15 more minutes or until the potato slices are tender when pierced with a knife.
Tip: I was able to get very thin, even slices of cheese and butter by slicing them while frozen on a mandolin.